All of the dreams we built up from the ground, They never believed them they just tore them down, We will rebuild them from the start, we will rebuild them from the heart... - HOOBASTANK, "From the Heart", Every Man for Himself

Friday, February 23, 2007

What's Wrong With Curly Hair Anyway?

Recently, I had a realization.

I was born with naturally curly hair. Ever since I was 6 yrs. old my hair hasn't been allowed to be naturally curly. It's always been in braids or straightened. Now it's time for another straightening session and I just don't want to do it anymore! Well, at least not for a while.

I would love to wear my hair curly but I know that my Mom (who helps me with my massive hair) won't go for it unless I address a few key points, and list the pros and cons.

I've been doing some research on curly hair tonight and here's what I've uncovered:

Main Point 1: The reason why most black girls (yes, I'm black for those of you that haven't caught on or know me!) don't wear their hair naturally is that when it dries, it frizzes and puffs up.
1. You're not supposed to comb curly hair while it's dry! (and you're not supposed to comb straight hair when it's wet).
2. You're really not supposed to shampoo every time that you wash your hair. Every other time in fine. In between you use conditioners (shower conditioners and leave-in ones)

General Rule: Don't use hair products that have alcohol in them. Don't use any type of brush at all on curly hair. Only wide toothed combs.

Interesting fact: Curly hair is often dry.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If you have curly hair, one consistently good website that I have found is NaturallyCurly.com

Peace and curls!

ZB24

P.S. Wish me luck in convincing my mom to assist me in this curly mission. ;-) I'll post and let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Tinsie said...

I think curly hair's fine. Most girls I know who have straight hair wish it was curly. I suppose it's only human to wish for what you haven't got.
I say get a good cut and some good anti-frizz products and go for it :-)