All of the dreams we built up from the ground, They never believed them they just tore them down, We will rebuild them from the start, we will rebuild them from the heart... - HOOBASTANK, "From the Heart", Every Man for Himself

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

ZB24's Rant on Music

Hi.

I know that I may step on a lot of toes with this article but it's been on my mind for a long time.

Before you all start commenting and bashing me, let me clarify. They type of music that I am talking is what they play in the mainstream media on MTV. I do like some of these songs (last summer, The Fray was popular and I loved their music), but most of the songs now days just leave me puzzled or irritated. Let me address a couple things that irritate me the most in the music industry:

  • Bad English

You know, those songs that make you wonder where these people went to school at. Here's a sample if you can't think of any:

MIMS - This is Why I'm Hot:Mims

This is why I’m hot(x2)

This is why(x2) uh
This is why I’m hot (uh)

This is why I’m hot(x2) whoo
This is why(x2)
This is why I’m hot

I’m hot coz I’m fly (fly)
You ain’t coz you’re not (mims)
This is why x2
This is why I’m hot(x2)

Then there's some rapping and that chorus over and over. That's all that the song consists of. I put the worst sentence in bold for you. Hmmmm, I'm not cuz I ain't...

I'm curious to know just what the connotation of "hot" is. From this song, sounds to me like it involves talking like you never got past the 4th grade. If I gots to talks like that then I don't wanna be hot. I guess I just ain't. :-(

You know, there was a day and age when speaking with bad English was a bad thing. Now having bad English appears to be cool. I have to admit! I'm not perfect either! I slip up and use ain't and I say "like", like, a lot. But I don't particularly want to hear that in the music I'm listening to. Shouldn't music raise your standards? You know, like, if you have bad English then listening to a grammatically correct song will help you to see what good English is, but if your saying ain't and the song is saying ain't then someone tell me what the positive effects are. I just can't see them.

  • Superficiality

Look at me! Look at my car, my clothes, my house, my half naked woman on my car, my bling, my hair, my shoes, the ground that I walk on.

Personally, for me as a listener, I get sick of hearing about YOU, YOU, You, and U. For a while, can't we here about something else? I'm not saying that I want to hear corny songs about let's all hold hands, stop world hunger, let's all be friends (hmm, let's be realistic!). But, I don't want to hear about just you and what you have!

That's part of the reason why I like Utada Hikaru. She write beautiful uplifting songs and she doesn't brag about herself. Her goal is to entertain the listener, not to brag about what's she got.

You'll get mad and say, "Well what about American music! You can find anyone on this side of Globe?" I can and I do! Here's a list of artists you can look up and they all have productive lyrics: John Mayor, Yellowcard, R.E.M., and Switchfoot.

I like an occasional superficial song too, but I think that people should balance out the Rolls Royce and the conscious thought. I try to do that with my music.

My point: I want to hear songs that make me think. and I don't want to hear about your car and your rims.

There, my rant is finished.

This is why I write,
I write because I think,
This is why I'm not a comatose bump on a log.

How about that...

ZB24 8-)

No comments: